Sunday, December 01, 2019

Extended Family

Right now I’m sitting at a table in a restaurant 
on Sentosa Island in Singapore 
Looking out over the tropical treetops
At the incongruous fleets of ships and refinery towers in the distance,
Listening to babies crying in the languid heat of the afternoon
While Christmas songs play in the background.

And right now I’m thinking of Diane just waking up
On a cold frosty morning in Glasgow,
Or maybe dreaming one last dream before she wakes for church.

And I’m also thinking of our son Kenneth not quite as cold,
In the middle of the night, 
Waiting at the Cedar Rapids airport in Iowa in America
to give his roommate a ride home on his return 
From his Thanksgiving trip home.

And right now I extend my mind to our other son Brendan, 
Closest of them all, in Tokyo 
In his study sneaking in some programming on a late Sunday afternoon 
While Mayumi and our granddaughter Mizuki have a girls' shopping afternoon
And Yuki plays a video game.
 
Right now, thinking of you all,
My scattered family, around the world: 
many places, many times, all interconnected.

                                         -1 Dec 2019, Singapore

No comments: